Olympic Fan!

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone, for the sad, old earth must borrow its mirth, but has trouble enough of its own." Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Big Families

“There are eight kids in my family.”  Anytime I make that comment, people tend to go over the edge.  The first reaction is disbelief, and then a few things usually follow.  I tend to either get “Really?  How cool!” or “I’m sorry!”  Then, if they find out I’m the oldest, I get the latter line even more.  It’s awful to get.  Why do people feel sorry for me?  I don’t even feel sorry for myself!  It is a great experience to be in a big family.  So many things are learned that cannot be taught anywhere else.  One of the greatest things I’ve learned is selflessness.  It is nearly impossible to be selfish when there are a lot of kids.  Sure you can have the “my” attitude, but this tends to make life miserable.  This attitude is how the media portrays life.  Someone owns everything and the only way to share is to be grudging about it.  That is not reality.  It’s great to be able to share your things and borrow other’s stuff, without having it be a problem.

Another thing learned in a big family is hard work.  I won’t try to deny it.  It takes TONS of effort to keep everything going.  The house has to be constantly worked on.  There is always someone who needs to take a bath or someone that needs help with homework.  People need to be taken to tumbling or picked up from somewhere.  Having all these crazy times makes you appreciate when you get to relax and be together.  One of our favorite traditions is to leave on three-day weekends.  We don’t go very far, but we just get away.  The last three, short trips we’ve taken have been to Pocatello, Boise, Salt Lake, and Logan.  We don’t have to have any connections with anyone at home, and we’re just all together.  While we’re together, we play games and laugh.  We love to be in the pool together.  While we were in Logan, we did Chicken Fighting.  I don’t know if you’ve ever played that game, but while you’re in the pool, two people climb on two other people’s shoulders, and they “fight.”  Since we have more people, we have lots of people up on shoulders, and it usually turns into controlled chaos.  It’s hilarious to watch because everyone’s trying to pull the other people off, without getting knocked off themselves.  It is great fun to play, but most of all, it’s great because we’re together with our family.

The last point I wanted to make was, and this is especially to oldest children, be happy to be the oldest!  It is the best position in the family.  Though there are many perks, the best part is being able to watch your siblings get grow and develop.  There’s nothing better than going to see a new baby in the hospital, and then have them come home and be able to hold and love them, or listening to a two year old learn to talk, or watching a kindergartener excitedly go to school for the first time.  Those experiences are the kinds that make everything worth it.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Becca said…

    The reason for the "I'm sorry" line is because people tend to put themselves in your position. Not all people have a good relationship with their sibblings, and therefore having MORE of them would be torture. You have an excellent relationship with your relatives and that makes it nice for you. Plus your sibblings are darling. :D

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Lizzy said…

    There are eight kids in my family too!! I get the exactly the same reaction! Except I am not the oldest. I am 7th. My little sister and I are both considered "the youngest" even though she is the youngest. We are also still refered to as "the little girls." Even though we are 15 and 12. I love big families! It has been hard for me the past year becaue two of my siblings moved to college. Our house is getting quiet, but family parties are THE BEST! I think that the reason people feel bad for you because you are the oldest is you have the most responsibility. Most people (including me) would be scared to death to have 7 younger siblings looking up to me. You have a great atitude!
    Lizzy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home