Olympic Fan!

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone, for the sad, old earth must borrow its mirth, but has trouble enough of its own." Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Would you cross it???!

I love to play soccer.  It is my favorite sport, and I really enjoy playing on my team.  During games, I love to be forward.  In soccer, the forwards are the ones who take the ball up the field and score goals.  It is a very exhilarating experience, when a goal is scored, but it doesn’t happen very often.  I generally feel like I could score many more if people would just pass it to me.  The idea, when trying to score a goal, is take it to the outside and then cross (pass) it into the middle.  By having a player take the ball towards the edge of the field, it makes the goalie turn and scoot in that direction.  It also draws the defenders to the side.  I am generally the center forward and many times I have felt frustrated because they wouldn’t kick it in to me.  The concept seems so simple.  I am wide open.  If they even kicked it in my general direction, I could get it, but this rarely (to never) happens.  After a game, I often wonder why.

I believe the first reason that they don’t get it to me is because they get themselves into trouble.  By having defenders follow them to the sides, they now have people to deal with.  Ideally, the other forward should center it immediately, but they often figure that if they just dribble for a second more or go farther to the side, they will be able to get the “perfect” pass.  Often they lose the ball because of this hesitation.

Another reason that they don’t pass it is because they believe they are better and could make a goal more easily.  They don’t realize that by making a simple pass to me, I would be able to kick it in, without having interference from anyone (since no one ever bothers to guard me and the goalie is facing in the opposite direction).

Well, that’s all I have to say about that for now!  

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home