Olympic Fan!

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone, for the sad, old earth must borrow its mirth, but has trouble enough of its own." Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day

Have you ever taken the time to think of all the work that a mother does?  As I’ve thought about it, I can’t believe the things that my mom, from cooking meals, to doing laundry, to keeping the house in the shape, or to reading to my younger siblings.  Some people don’t think that staying at home is a suitable career, but, in my opinion, it is the most worthy of anything a woman can do.  So much is accomplished in the home and so many problems would be solved if more people took time to be their family and if more moms took a greater interest in their child.

My family always takes Mother’s Day very seriously.  We try to do everything for my mom, and, as we worked willingly, we all had a great time.  My mom took a nap and stayed in her room while my father and the rest of my family made dinner.  We laughed as we tried to make strawberries and cream for her (we tried to put a sliced strawberry on, for garnish, but it didn’t go nearly as well as we had hoped), and we all had a great time peeling potatoes and setting the table.  The reason we found it so enjoyable was because we were working together, to achieve a common goal.  It had an even better payoff to see my mom smile and be pleased.  That’s one of the best parts of serving others: the reward and feeling of self-satisfaction.  

1 Comments:

  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger Sequoia said…

    You know, I agree. Moms do do a lot, more than they should have to do, for their families. I get guilty thinking about what my Mom does just for me, one kid. Moms deserve a lot more respect for what they do. Thanks for pointing out that being a home mom isn't as easy as some would claim.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home