Olympic Fan!

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone, for the sad, old earth must borrow its mirth, but has trouble enough of its own." Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Friday, December 23, 2005

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! 26 hours, 18 minutes, and 5 seconds left!!

Merry Christmas!! It is now just 26 ½ (ish) hours away.  Today is Christmas Adam (a.k.a. The Eve of Christmas Eve).  All month I have been getting ready, and now I am so excited that I can hardly talk.  My family and I have done some really fun things, and I’ve decided to list some of my favorites.  

On my dad’s side of the family, we do Advent.  Advent is a tradition in Christmas Tradition, in Germany.  Since my Grandma comes directly from there, we have a lot of German traditions.  During this tradition, candles are lit every Sunday, for four weeks before Christmas.  All of the family, well as many as can make it, gather together to read stories, eat German food, and light the candles.  It’s a great tradition that we do.  Most of my dad’s family was there, and we look forward to going over there to be able to light the next candle.

On Christmas Eve, we have the traditional German dinner.  It is one of my favorite meals, and I look forward to it all year.  It has sausages, bratwurst, sauerkraut, ham, and boiled potatoes, with white gravy.  It is very delicious, and it takes my Grandma a lot of time to make it.  Her parents, both German, always bring dessert, and that is great, too.

This year, my dad wanted to do Advent Calendars.  When he was a kid, he loved to do these with his family, so he decided he wanted us to do it.  These aren’t a German tradition.  They are the paper ones that have doors, which when opened, have chocolate behind them.  Well, the first problem with these is that we never remember to open them.  For the first few days, we did a good job, but then we forget, so when we finally remember, we get to eat four or five at a time.  The other problem that we’ve found is when they get bumped or shaken, all the chocolates fall to the bottom of the package.  Then, to get them out, you must shake it in the other direction.  This causes the others to fall out, too, so now nearly none of the chocolates are in the correct place.  It has made us laugh, though, and that has been fun.

Another tradition we have is to look at Christmas lights.  I find such joy in looking at these beautiful wonders!  Going to Temple Square, Layton Park’s lights, and the lights at Willard Bay.  They’ve taken so much time to put up, and there are so many of them!!  I can’t decide if I like seeing pictures made of lights or if I just like the single ones.  They both have their beauty, but I think I prefer the plain ones.  At Temple Square, I love the lights that are pink and white.  It’s very pretty.

I also love the Christmas music.  This season, I’ve listened to so much Christmas music.  My family has the soundtrack of the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas soundtrack.  It’s one of my favorites, and this year I believe I’ve listened to it at least 50 times.  We have other fun Christmas CDs, such as the Chipmunks and Amy Grant, but I love the Grinch.    

Well, I know this wasn’t my best writing ever, but I’m really excited, and I can hardly wait for it to be Christmas.  The only problem with its coming is, after it’s over, all of the fun and they way everyone feels, stops.  I wish that people could continue it all year long.  The world would be a much better place is everyone did.  Oh well, I can at least start!  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home